Thursday, June 5, 2014

New is better!

While I am taking my time to figure out what are the long term goals and strategies that make me happy, for right now I am concentrating on little things. One of the things that always make me happy is a new experience, be it a new art work or fun picture, food I’ve never tasted before, going somewhere new, or hearing a song for the first time. So I’ve decided to add three new experiences to my life every week. The order of these experiences is not important but I know what thrills my senses and that’s one thing I am focusing on. Since my vision is my dominant sense, I have to have a wide range of visuals, new colors and landscapes to make me happy. I also like learning new subjects and skills, so learning about or reading something new (and not simply a novel) is a must for me.  And finally something for my other senses, hearing something new, tasting a new flavor or something tactile (fabric, yarn, leather, glass, plants and flowers).

The mini adventures I have experienced this week are:
-the sights and scenic landscape of Atlantic coast in Nova Scotia, Canada. A gorgeous seaside town with colorful houses, beautiful blue ocean, a white lighthouse and acres and acres of green forest. All courtesy of a new TV series I am watching on Netflix. Although the story is scary and sometimes cliché, I keep watching it for all the landscape shots and beautiful scenery.

... Go back to Most Beautiful Places in Canada | A Nice View Next Image EHS Journal - Peggy's Cove Nova Scotia by Bill Davenport
 

-learning about Marimo (Japanese Moss Ball), its habitat, environmental value, care and cultural significance.

Cute Japanese Moss Balls : Marimo!

-the taste of roasted white sesame seeds on almost everything, on rice as extra flavor, beside cheese and cherry tomatoes as snack and mixed with Greek yogurt for dessert. So very good!

... broccoli, poached prawns, roasted sesame seeds oil and dark chocolate

I like to have one new experience per day, and that’s what I am aiming for. But for now, three per week would work. It gives me time to savor each and repeat for enjoyment.
I look at these exploits as adventures and safe thrills that make me feel alive… that life still has new things to offer. Yes, I think that’s the key. I am guessing I am at that point in my life that I’ve achieved many of my goals and then have looked around and said “now what?!”. That thought, unconscious as it maybe, is one reason for the feeling of disappointment and boredom and quite honestly, being let down! I would like to think my life still has many pleasant things to experience and enjoy. I like to think I still have many things to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment