Monday, August 18, 2014

Doing what you like!


A couple of months ago I decided to put my money where my mouth is (so to speak) and after years of claiming to be an Epicurean, actually apply those principles to my way of life. Since just seeking pleasure in everyday life was not increasing my overall happiness (something I have been doing for years), I made a major decision: I look for long term happiness in my bigger goals, career, education, where I live. I had been job searching for about a year (on and off) so I decided to apply to those positions that will make me happy in long term. This view made it clear to me that only research and academic jobs will contribute to my happiness. Teaching is something I genuinely enjoy and I love the challenge of planning and executing new projects. Therefore I came to one scary conclusion: no more applying to every job opening on the market! I’ll be honest and admit that it went against all my instincts, to limit myself to very few (and far between) openings that might pop up every couple of months or so. It is lowering my chances of employment pretty dramatically. However, after thinking about it for a couple of weeks, I came to understand that it is well worth it. Yes, I desperately need a job but I am not going to take detours and waste my time on something that won’t even make me happy. A paycheck is not worth my long term happiness or a wrong turn of career path.
I know I am taking a big risk but I am counting on big rewards too. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment