Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Fear and the cost of safety

A couple of days ago, I was involved in a fender-bender. It was not my fault and there was very little damage, but I was seriously scared and shaky for the rest of the day.  Then the next day, I noticed I am looking for excuses to not leave the house and not to drive. It was hard pushing myself out of the front door and starting my car. It got me thinking how many times a bad experience scares us so much that we prefer to retreat to our safe little corner and forget everything else… to stop driving long distance, stop driving on the freeways, stop driving all together,…  stop going to meetings, to work, to classes, stop taking exams, meeting other people…. How many times we stop a necessary part of life simply because we are too scared?
What got me moving yesterday was the thought that if I stay home and don’t drive because I am nervous right now, I would look for more and more excuses and become homebound out of fear. As soon as I realized that, I got up and took my car to the supermarket. It was only a block from my house but it broke that paralyzing spell of fear.  
That’s how I usually deal with scary situations… I plunge myself head first into them without giving myself much time to think about the scary aspects. I know if I start thinking and planning about every situation which gives me pause, my procrastinating nature would take over and stop me from ever doing anything new. I don’t want to end up like a hamster in a cage, safe but trapped my whole life.

 Hamsters are cute but their lives are pathetic. I don't want to turn into a hamster!

No comments:

Post a Comment